- a shaft sunk into the ground to obtain water, oil, or gas.；a water spring or fountain.
- (of a liquid) rise up to the surface and spill or be about to spill；(of an emotion) develop and become more intense
noun: well, plural noun: wells
- 1. a shaft sunk into the ground to obtain water, oil, or gas. 同義詞
- ▪ archaic a water spring or fountain.
- ▪ a place where there are mineral springs Tunbridge Wells
- ▪ a depression made to hold liquid put the flour on a flat surface and make a well to hold the eggs
- 2. a plentiful source or supply she could feel a deep well of sympathy and compassion 同義詞
- 3. an enclosed space in the middle of a building, giving room for stairs or a lift, or to allow light or ventilation.
- ▪ British the place in a law court where the clerks and ushers sit.
- 4. US a shelf beneath the counter of a bar on which bottles of alcohol are stored within easy reach of the person serving you would have never heard of the label of the gin in the well in average bars
- ▪ denoting or made with the relatively inexpensive brands of alcohol stored in the well of a bar. happy hour is from 4 to 7 p.m. weekdays, with $4 well drinks and draft beers three shots of well tequila
- 5. a region of minimum potential a gravity well
- 1. (of a liquid) rise up to the surface and spill or be about to spill tears were beginning to well up in her eyes
- ▪ (of an emotion) develop and become more intense all the old bitterness began to well up inside her again
...另外...尚有其他詞性及用法如下.... well a. ( 形容詞 adjective ) adv. ( 副詞...病的,健康的,健壯的 《例句》 feel well 身體好 look well 看上去身體好;(人...3. 【地】 來源,源泉 《例句》 a well of information 什麼都知道的人 the well...
As well as 可當附屬連接詞和介系詞用， 當連接詞...為「和…一樣」：You know as well as I that he’s a fool. (你和...所以要使用複數動詞 – 時，或者當 as well as 及其受詞被語調或逗點隔開，因此使...
... days are here With Summer's best of weather And Autumn's best of cheer. 這些可愛跡徵...