- a circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground；a circular object that revolves on an axle and forms part of a machine.
- push or pull (a vehicle with wheels)；carry in or on a vehicle with wheels
verb: wheel, 3rd person present: wheels, gerund or present participle: wheeling, past tense: wheeled, past participle: wheeled
noun: wheel, plural noun: wheels
- 1. a circular object that revolves on an axle and is fixed below a vehicle or other object to enable it to move easily over the ground a chair on wheels 同義詞
- ▪ a circular object that revolves on an axle and forms part of a machine.
- ▪ used in reference to the cycle of a specified condition or set of events the final release from the wheel of life
- ▪ historical a large wheel used as an instrument of punishment or torture, especially by binding someone to it and breaking their limbs a man sentenced to be broken on the wheel
- 2. a machine or structure having a wheel as its essential part.
- ▪ the steering wheel of a vehicle or vessel his crew know when he wants to take the wheel
- ▪ a device with a revolving disc or drum used in various games of chance.
- ▪ a system, or a part of a system, regarded as a relentlessly moving machine the wheels of justice
- 3. informal a car she's got wheels now
- 4. a thing resembling a wheel, in particular a cheese made in the form of a shallow disc a small wheel of Brie
- 5. an instance of wheeling; a turn or rotation. 同義詞
- 6. North American informal short for big wheel
- 7. a set of short lines, typically five in number and rhyming, concluding the stanza of a poem.
- 1. push or pull (a vehicle with wheels) Luke was wheeling a barrow the tea trolley was wheeled out 同義詞
- ▪ carry in or on a vehicle with wheels a young woman is wheeled into the operating theatre
- 2. (of a bird or aircraft) fly in a wide circle or curve the birds wheeled and dived 同義詞
- ▪ turn round quickly so as to face another way Robert wheeled round to see the face of Mr Mafouz
- ▪ turn or seem to turn on an axis or pivot the stars wheeled through the sky