- a toy that spins round, for example a top or windmill.；another term for roundabout
noun: whirligig, plural noun: whirligigs
- 1. a toy that spins round, for example a top or windmill.
- ▪ another term for roundabout
- ▪ a process or activity characterized by constant change or hectic activity the whirligig of time
- 2. a small black predatory beetle which swims rapidly in circles on the surface of still or slow-moving water and dives when alarmed.
- a toy that spins around, for example, a top or a pinwheel.
Oxford American Dictionary