- an opening in the wall or roof of a building or vehicle, fitted with glass in a frame to admit light or air and allow people to see out.；a pane of glass filling a window
noun: window, plural noun: windows
- 1. an opening in the wall or roof of a building or vehicle, fitted with glass in a frame to admit light or air and allow people to see out.
- ▪ a pane of glass filling a window thieves smashed a window and took £600
- ▪ an opening in a wall or screen through which customers are served in a bank, ticket office, or similar building.
- ▪ a space behind the window of a shop where goods are displayed for sale beautiful window displays
- ▪ a means of observing and learning about something television is a window on the world
- 2. a transparent panel on an envelope to show an address.
- 3. a framed area on a display screen for viewing information.
- 4. an interval or opportunity for action the parliamentary recess offers a good window for a bid
- ▪ an interval during which atmospheric and astronomical circumstances are suitable for the launch of a spacecraft.
- 5. a range of electromagnetic wavelengths for which a medium (especially the atmosphere) is transparent.
- 6. strips of metal foil dispersed in the air to obstruct radar detection.