- a unit of linear measure equal to 3 feet (0.9144 metre)；a great length of something
noun: yard, plural noun: yards
- 1. a unit of linear measure equal to 3 feet (0.9144 metre) a full skirt that took twenty yards of cloth
- ▪ informal a great length of something yards and yards of fine lace
- ▪ a square or cubic yard, especially of sand or other building materials.
- 2. a cylindrical spar, tapering to each end, slung across a ship's mast for a sail to hang from.
- 3. US informal 100 dollars; a 100 dollar bill it cost two hundred up front—one yard for Maurice, one for the girl