- a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plow or cart that they are to pull.；used of something that is regarded as oppressive or burdensome
noun: yoke, plural noun: yokes
- 1. a wooden crosspiece that is fastened over the necks of two animals and attached to the plow or cart that they are to pull. 同義詞
- ▪ used of something that is regarded as oppressive or burdensome the yoke of imperialism 同義詞
- ▪ (in ancient Rome) an arch of three spears under which a defeated army was made to march.
- ▪ a pair of animals coupled together with a yoke a yoke of oxen
- ▪ archaic the amount of land that one pair of oxen could plow in a day.
- 2. a part of a garment that fits over the shoulders and to which the main part of the garment is attached, typically in gathers or pleats the pinafore fell amply from a short yoke
- 3. a frame fitting over the neck and shoulders of a person, used for carrying pails or baskets.
- 4. the crossbar at the head of a rudder, to whose ends ropes are fastened.
- ▪ a bar of soft iron between the poles of an electromagnet.
- 5. North American a control lever in an aircraft.