- (of a surface or background) unrelieved by decorative or other features; bare, empty, or plain；not written or printed on
- a space left to be filled in a document；a document with blank spaces to be filled.
- cover up, obscure, or cause to appear blank or empty；become blank or empty
verb: blank, 3rd person present: blanks, gerund or present participle: blanking, past tense: blanked, past participle: blanked
noun: blank, plural noun: blanks
- 1. (of a surface or background) unrelieved by decorative or other features; bare, empty, or plain a blank wall the blank skyline 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ not written or printed on a blank sheet of paper 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a document) with spaces left for a signature or details blank tax-return forms
- ▪ (of a tape) with nothing recorded on it blank cassettes
- 2. showing incomprehension or no reaction we were met by blank looks 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ having temporarily no knowledge or understanding her mind went blank
- ▪ lacking incident or result those blank moments aboard airplanes
- 3. complete; absolute (used emphatically with negative force) he was met with a blank refusal to discuss the issue 同義詞
- 1. a space left to be filled in a document leave blanks to type in the appropriate names this measure required subjects to fill in the blanks in a story 同義詞
- ▪ a document with blank spaces to be filled.
- ▪ a domino with one or both halves blank.
- 2. a cartridge containing gunpowder but no bullet, used for training or as a signal.
- 3. an empty space or period of time, especially in terms of a lack of knowledge or understanding my mind was a total blank 同義詞
- 4. a roughly cut metal or wooden block intended for further shaping or finishing.
- ▪ a plain metal disk from which a coin is made by stamping a design on it.
- 5. a dash written instead of a word or letter, especially instead of an obscenity or profanity.
- ▪ used euphemistically in place of a noun regarded as obscene, profane, or abusive.
- 1. cover up, obscure, or cause to appear blank or empty electronic countermeasures blanked out the radar signals
- ▪ become blank or empty the picture blanked out
- ▪ cut (a metal blank) the complete core disk can be blanked out in one piece
- 2. North American informal defeat (a sports opponent) without allowing the opposition to score Baltimore blanked Toronto in a 7–0 victory