- the action of separating something into parts or the process of being separated；the distribution of something separated into parts
noun: division, plural noun: divisions
- 1. the action of separating something into parts or the process of being separated the division of the land into small fields a gene that helps regulate cell division 同義詞
- ▪ the distribution of something separated into parts the division of his estates between the two branches of his family 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ an instance of members of a legislative body separating into two groups to vote for or against a bill the new clause was agreed without a division
- ▪ the action of splitting the roots of a perennial plant into parts to be replanted separately, as a means of propagation the plant can also be easily increased by division in autumn
- ▪ the action of dividing a wider class into two or more subclasses.
- 2. disagreement between two or more groups, typically producing tension or hostility a growing sense of division between north and south deep cultural divisions 同義詞 反義詞
- 3. the process or skill of dividing one number by another no multiplication or division is necessary
- ▪ the process of dividing a matrix, vector, or other quantity by another under specific rules to obtain a quotient.
- 4. each of the parts into which something is divided the main divisions of the book 同義詞
- ▪ a major unit or section of an organization, typically one handling a particular kind of work a retail division 同義詞
- ▪ a group of army brigades or regiments an infantry division
- ▪ a number of teams or competitors grouped together in a sport for competitive purposes according to such characteristics as ability, size, or geographic location the team will finish in fifth place in Division One
- ▪ a part of a county, country, or city defined for administrative or political purposes a licensing division of a district
- ▪ British a part of a county or borough forming a parliamentary constituency he was MP for the Lancaster division of North Lancashire
- ▪ a principal taxonomic category that ranks above class and below kingdom, equivalent to the phylum in zoology.
- ▪ any subsidiary category between major levels of classification.
- 5. a partition that divides two groups or things the villagers lived in a communal building and there were no solid divisions between neighbors 同義詞