- important, serious, or significant；greater or more important; main
- an army officer of high rank, in particular (in the US Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps) an officer ranking above captain and below lieutenant colonel.；a major key, interval, or scale.
- specialize in (a particular subject) at college or university
noun: major, plural noun: majors
- 1. important, serious, or significant the use of drugs is a major problem 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ greater or more important; main he got the major share of the spoils 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ (of a surgical operation) serious or life-threatening he had to undergo major surgery
- 2. (of a scale) having an interval of a semitone between the third and fourth degrees and the seventh and eighth degrees.
- ▪ (of an interval) equivalent to that between the tonic and another note of a major scale, and greater by a semitone than the corresponding minor interval C to E is a major third
- ▪ (of a key) based on a major scale, tending to produce a bright or joyful effect Prelude in G Major
- 3. British dated (appended to a surname in some schools) indicating the elder of two brothers.
- 4. (of a term) occurring as the predicate in the conclusion of a categorical syllogism.
- ▪ (of a premise) containing the major term in a categorical syllogism. 同義詞 反義詞
- 1. an army officer of high rank, in particular (in the US Army, Air Force, and Marine Corps) an officer ranking above captain and below lieutenant colonel.
- 2. a major key, interval, or scale.
- ▪ a system of change-ringing using eight bells.
- 3. a major world organization, company, or competition it's not unreasonable to believe someone can win all four majors
- ▪ the major leagues.
- 4. North American a student's principal subject or course of study many students would ignore courses outside their major
- ▪ a student specializing in a specified subject a math major
- 5. a major term or premise.
- 6. short for major suit
- 7. a person of full legal age.
- 1. North American, Australian, New Zealand specialize in (a particular subject) at college or university I was trying to decide if I should major in drama or English