- the practice of observing the requirements of law, morality, or ritual；an act performed for religious or ceremonial reasons
noun: observance, plural noun: observances
- 1. the practice of observing the requirements of law, morality, or ritual strict observance of the rules the decline in religious observance 同義詞 rite, ritual, ceremony, ceremonial, celebration, ... 更多
- ▪ an act performed for religious or ceremonial reasons official anniversary observances
- ▪ a rule to be followed by a religious order he drew up a body of monastic observances
- 2. the action of watching or noticing something the baby's motionless observance of me 同義詞 scrutiny, observation, examination, inspection, watching, ... 更多
- 3. archaic respect; deference the tramp gave them no observance 同義詞 compliance with, adherence to, conformity to, obedience to, acquiescence in, ... 更多反義詞 disregard
- failure to fulfil or comply with an obligation, rule, or custom.
- the Christian principle of keeping Sunday as a day of rest and worship.
- the action or practice of fulfilling or respecting the requirements of law, morality, or ritual: strict observance of the rules the decline in religious observance
Oxford American Dictionary