- remove forcibly from power；put an end to (something), typically by the use of force or violence
- a removal from power; a defeat or downfall；(in baseball and other games) a throw that sends a ball past its intended recipient or target.
verb: overthrow, 3rd person present: overthrows, gerund or present participle: overthrowing, past tense: overthrew, past participle: overthrown
noun: overthrow, plural noun: overthrows
- 1. remove forcibly from power military coups which had attempted to overthrow the King 同義詞
- ▪ put an end to (something), typically by the use of force or violence their subversive activities are calculated to overthrow parliamentary democracy
- ▪ archaic knock or throw to the ground one who is already prostrate cannot be overthrown
- 2. throw (a ball) further or harder than intended he grips the ball too tight and overthrows it
- ▪ North American throw a ball beyond (a receiving player) he overthrew a receiver in the end zone
- 1. a removal from power; a defeat or downfall plotting the overthrow of the government 同義詞
- 2. (in baseball and other games) a throw that sends a ball past its intended recipient or target.
- 3. a panel of decorated wrought-iron work above an arch or gateway.