- a tube of metal, plastic, or other material used to convey water, gas, oil, or other fluid substances.；a cylindrical vein of ore or rock, especially one in which diamonds are found.
- convey (water, gas, oil, or other fluid substances) through a pipe or pipes；transmit (music, a radio or television program, signals, etc.) by wire or cable
verb: pipe, 3rd person present: pipes, gerund or present participle: piping, past tense: piped, past participle: piped
noun: pipe, plural noun: pipes
- 1. a tube of metal, plastic, or other material used to convey water, gas, oil, or other fluid substances. 同義詞 tube, conduit, hose, main, duct, ... 更多
- ▪ a cylindrical vein of ore or rock, especially one in which diamonds are found.
- ▪ a cavity in cast metal.
- ▪ informal a duct, vessel, or tubular structure in the body, or in an animal or plant.
- ▪ a connection to the internet or to a website.
- 2. a narrow tube made from wood, clay, etc., with a bowl at one end for containing burning tobacco, the smoke from which is drawn into the mouth a smell of pipe tobacco 同義詞 tobacco pipe, briar (pipe), meerschaum, clay pipe, churchwarden, ... 更多
- ▪ a quantity of tobacco held by a pipe they were sharing a pipe of tobacco
- ▪ a device for smoking illegal drugs a crack pipe
- 3. a wind instrument consisting of a single tube with holes along its length that are covered by the fingers to produce different notes a reed pipe 同義詞 whistle, penny whistle, flute, recorder, fife, ... 更多
- ▪ bagpipes. 同義詞 bagpipes, pan pipes, uillean pipes
- ▪ a set of pipes joined together, as in panpipes.
- ▪ a tube by which sound is produced in an organ.
- ▪ informal voice or vocal ability, especially of a powerful singer.
- ▪ a boatswain's whistle.
- ▪ a high-pitched cry or song, especially of a bird the sad little pipe of the ringed plover
- 4. a command which causes the output from one routine to be the input for another.
- ▪ the symbol
- 5. . a fresh pipe of port
- 6. a cask for wine, especially as a measure equal to two hogsheads, usually equivalent to 105 gallons (about 477 liters)
- 1. convey (water, gas, oil, or other fluid substances) through a pipe or pipes water from the lakes is piped to several towns 同義詞 convey, channel, siphon, run, feed, ... 更多
- ▪ transmit (music, a radio or television program, signals, etc.) by wire or cable he was watching a movie piped to his room on one of the hotel's video channels 同義詞 transmit, feed, lead, patch
- 2. play (a tune) on a pipe or pipes he believed he'd heard music—a tune being piped 同義詞 play on a pipe, play the pipes, tootle, whistle, literaryflute
- ▪ use a boatswain's whistle to summon (the crew) to work or a meal the hands were piped to breakfast
- 3. (of a bird) sing in a high or shrill voice outside at the back a curlew piped 同義詞 chirp, cheep, chirrup, twitter, chatter, ... 更多
- ▪ say something in a high, shrill voice “No, ma'am,” piped Lucy 同義詞 chirp, cheep, chirrup, twitter, chatter, ... 更多
- 4. decorate (clothing or soft furnishings) with a thin cord covered in fabric.
- 5. put (a decorative line or pattern) on a cake or similar dish using icing, whipped cream, etc. she had been piping cream around a flan