- make smaller or less in amount, degree, or size；become smaller or less in size, amount, or degree
verb: reduce, 3rd person present: reduces, gerund or present participle: reducing, past tense: reduced, past participle: reduced
- 1. make smaller or less in amount, degree, or size the need for businesses to reduce costs the workforce has been reduced to some 6,100 同義詞 lessen, make less, make smaller, lower, bring down, ... 更多反義詞 increase, enlarge, put up
- ▪ become smaller or less in size, amount, or degree the number of priority homeless cases has reduced slightly
- ▪ boil (a sauce or other liquid) in cooking so that it becomes thicker and more concentrated increase the heat and reduce the liquid
- ▪ North American (of a person) lose weight, typically by dieting by May she had reduced to 9 stone
- ▪ make (a negative or print) less dense.
- ▪ articulate (a speech sound) in a way requiring less muscular effort, giving rise in vowels to a more central articulatory position.
- 2. bring someone or something to (a worse or less desirable state or condition) she has been reduced to near poverty the church was reduced to rubble 同義詞 bring to, bring to the point of, force into, drive into
- ▪ be forced by difficult circumstances into doing something desperate ordinary soldiers are reduced to begging
- ▪ make someone helpless with (shock, anguish, or amusement) Olga was reduced to stunned silence
- ▪ force someone into (obedience or submission) he reduced his grandees to due obedience 同義詞 bring to, bring to the point of, force into, drive into
- 3. change a substance to (a different or more basic form) it is difficult to understand how lava could have been reduced to dust
- ▪ present a problem or subject in (a simplified form) he reduces unimaginable statistics to manageable proportions
- ▪ convert a fraction to (the form with the lowest terms).
- 4. cause to combine chemically with hydrogen hydrogen for reducing the carbon dioxide
- ▪ undergo or cause to undergo a reaction in which electrons are gained from another substance or molecule this compound reduces to potassium chloride the arsenic is reduced to the trivalent condition
- 5. restore (a dislocated part of the body) to its proper position by manipulation or surgery Joe's reducing a dislocated thumb
- 6. archaic besiege and capture (a town or fortress).