- subdue (someone or something) by force；restrain, prevent, or inhibit (the expression or development of something)
verb: repress, 3rd person present: represses, gerund or present participle: repressing, past tense: repressed, past participle: repressed
- 1. subdue (someone or something) by force the uprisings were repressed 同義詞
- ▪ restrain, prevent, or inhibit (the expression or development of something) Isabel couldn't repress a sharp cry of fear
- ▪ suppress (a thought or desire) so that it becomes or remains unconscious the thought that he had killed his brother was so terrible that he repressed it 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ prevent the transcription of (a gene).
- subdue (someone or something) by force: the uprisings were repressed
Oxford American Dictionary