- make or become shorter；reduce the amount of (sail) exposed to the wind.
verb: shorten, 3rd person present: shortens, gerund or present participle: shortening, past tense: shortened, past participle: shortened
- 1. make or become shorter he shortened his stride around mid-September, days shorten and temperatures dip 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ reduce the amount of (sail) exposed to the wind.
- ▪ (with reference to gambling odds) make or become shorter; decrease the odds had shortened to 14-1
- ▪ make (a vowel or syllable) short.
- make or become shorter: he shortened his stride patients whose waiting time had been shortened