- the state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc.；cold, wet, and unpleasant or unpredictable atmospheric conditions; the elements
- wear away or change the appearance or texture of (something) by long exposure to the air；(of rock or other material) be worn away or altered by long exposure to the air
verb: weather, 3rd person present: weathers, gerund or present participle: weathering, past tense: weathered, past participle: weathered
- 1. the state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc.:
if the weather's good we can go for a walk
- 2. cold, wet, and unpleasant or unpredictable atmospheric conditions; the elements:
stone walls provide shelter from wind and weather
- 3. denoting the side from which the wind is blowing, especially on board a ship; windward:
the weather side of the yacht
- 1. wear away or change the appearance or texture of (something) by long exposure to the air:
his skin was weathered almost black by his long outdoor life
- 2. (of rock or other material) be worn away or altered by long exposure to the air:
the ice sheet preserves specimens that would weather away more quickly in other regions
- 3. come safely through (a storm):
the sturdy boat had weathered the storm well
- 4. withstand (a difficulty or danger):
this year has tested industry's ability to weather recession
- 5. (of a ship) get to the windward of (a cape or other obstacle).
- 6. make (boards or tiles) overlap downward to keep out rain.
- 7. (in building) slope or bevel (a surface) to throw off rain.
- 8. allow (a hawk) to spend a period perched in the open air:
I would advise to weather her in her hood
this perch is small enough to be moved outside when the bird is weathering
weather <<名詞>>1 天氣2...天氣下的不良影響 protected the house from the weather 保護房子免受惡劣天氣的影響3 (常作 weathers...2006-06-06 22:53:06 補充： 1. How is the weather ?是問天氣"如何" , 用how問2. What ...
(1) The weather in Canada is colder than the weather in Taiwan (... colder than it is in Taiwan. (X) (4) The weather in Canada is colder than the weather is in Taiwan...
What's the weather like today? Is the temperature and other conditions such as sun,rain,and...bad/---hot,warm/---cold,cool/----fine/sunny/fair/dry/wet/rainy/windy/stormy have good/bad/ weather/---Phrase weather permitting=The ship set sail, weather ...