- a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass；the terminal point or boundary of an area or movement
- set or serve as a limit to
noun: limit, plural noun: limits
- 1. a point or level beyond which something does not or may not extend or pass the success of the coup showed the limits of monarchical power the 10-minute limit on speeches
- ▪ the terminal point or boundary of an area or movement the city limits the upper limit of the tidal reaches 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the furthest extent of one's physical or mental endurance Mary Ann tried everyone's patience to the limit other horses were reaching their limit 同義詞
- 2. a restriction on the size or amount of something permissible or possible an age limit a weight limit 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ a speed limit a 30 mph limit
- ▪ (in card games) an agreed maximum stake or bet.
- ▪ the maximum concentration of alcohol in the blood that the law allows in the driver of a motor vehicle the risk of drinkers inadvertently going over the limit
- 3. a point or value that a sequence, function, or sum of a series can be made to approach progressively, until it is as close to the point or value as desired.
- 1. set or serve as a limit to try to limit the amount you drink class sizes are limited to a maximum of 10