- a tribunal presided over by a judge, judges, or a magistrate in civil and criminal cases；the place where a court meets
- be involved with romantically, typically with the intention of marrying；(of a male bird or other animal) try to attract (a mate).
noun: court, plural noun: courts
- 1. a tribunal presided over by a judge, judges, or a magistrate in civil and criminal cases she will take the matter to court a court case 同義詞 court of law, law court, bench, bar, court of justice, ... 更多
- ▪ the place where a court meets everyone in the court knew he was going down, innocent or guilty
- ▪ the judge or judges presiding at a court.
- 2. a quadrangular area, either open or covered, marked out for ball games such as tennis or basketball I prefer an indoor court 同義詞 playing area, enclosure, field, ground, ring, ... 更多
- ▪ a quadrangular area surrounded by a building or group of buildings. 同義詞 yard, courtyard, quadrangle, square, close, ... 更多
- ▪ a subdivision of a building, usually a large hall extending to the ceiling with galleries and staircases.
- 3. the establishment, retinue, and courtiers of a sovereign the emperor is shown with his court 同義詞 royal household, establishment, retinue, entourage, train, ... 更多
- ▪ a sovereign and his or her councilors, constituting a ruling power relations between the king and the imperial court
- ▪ a sovereign's residence he lived for four years at the court of King Philip 同義詞 royal residence, palace, castle, manor, hall, ... 更多
- 1. dated be involved with romantically, typically with the intention of marrying he was courting a girl from the neighboring farm we went to the movies when we were courting 同義詞 woo, go out with, be involved with, be romantically linked with, pursue, ... 更多
- ▪ dated (of a male bird or other animal) try to attract (a mate).
- ▪ dated pay special attention to (someone) in an attempt to win their support or favor Western politicians courted the leaders of the newly independent states 同義詞 curry favor with, make up to, play up to, ingratiate oneself with, cultivate, ... 更多
- ▪ dated go to great lengths to win (favorable attention) he never had to court the approval of the political elite 同義詞 seek, try to obtain, pursue, go after, strive for, ... 更多
- ▪ dated risk incurring (misfortune) because of the way one behaves he has often courted controversy 同義詞 risk, invite, attract, provoke, be likely to cause, ... 更多