- the upper part of the human body, or the front or upper part of the body of an animal, typically separated from the rest of the body by a neck, and containing the brain, mouth, and sense organs.；the head regarded as the location of intellect, imagination, and memory
- chief; principal
- be in the leading position on；be in charge of
noun: head, plural noun: heads
verb: head, 3rd person present: heads, gerund or present participle: heading, past tense: headed, past participle: headed
- 1. the upper part of the human body, or the front or upper part of the body of an animal, typically separated from the rest of the body by a neck, and containing the brain, mouth, and sense organs. 同義詞
- ▪ the head regarded as the location of intellect, imagination, and memory whatever comes into my head 同義詞
- ▪ an aptitude for or tolerance of she had a good head for business a head for heights 同義詞
- ▪ informal a headache, especially one resulting from intoxication.
- ▪ the height or length of a head as a measure he was beaten by a head
- ▪ the side of a coin bearing the image of a head (used when tossing a coin to determine a winner) heads or tails?
- ▪ the antlers of a deer stags yearly cast their heads in March
- 2. a thing resembling a head either in form or in relation to a whole.
- ▪ the cutting, striking, or operational end of a tool, weapon, or mechanism.
- ▪ the flattened or knobbed end of a nail, pin, screw, or match.
- ▪ the ornamented top of a pillar or column.
- ▪ a compact mass of leaves or flowers at the top of a stem, especially a capitulum huge heads of fluffy cream flowers
- ▪ the edible leafy part at the top of the stem of such green vegetables as cabbage and lettuce.
- 3. the front, forward, or upper part or end of something. 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the upper end of a table or bed he sat down at the head of the cot
- ▪ the upper horizontal part of a window frame or door frame.
- ▪ the flat end of a cask or drum.
- ▪ the front of a queue or procession at the head of the queue
- ▪ the top of a page.
- ▪ short for headline
- ▪ the top of a flight of stairs or steps.
- ▪ the foam on top of a glass of beer, or the cream on the top of milk. 同義詞
- ▪ the source of a river or stream. 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the end of a lake or inlet at which a river enters.
- ▪ a promontory Beachy Head
- ▪ the top of a ship's mast.
- ▪ the bows of a ship.
- ▪ short for cylinder head
- 4. a person in charge of something; a director or leader the head of the Dutch Catholic Church 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ British short for headmaster, headmistress, or head teacher
- 5. a person considered as a numerical unit they paid fifty pounds a head
- ▪ a number of cattle or game as specified seventy head of dairy cattle
- 6. a component in an audio, video, or information system by which information is transferred from an electrical signal to the recording medium, or vice versa.
- ▪ the part of a record player that holds the playing cartridge and stylus.
- ▪ short for printhead
- 7. a body of water kept at a particular height in order to provide a supply at sufficient pressure an 8 m head of water in the shafts
- ▪ the pressure exerted by a head of water or by a confined body of steam a good head of steam on the gauge
- 8. a toilet on a ship or boat they were cleaning out the heads
- 9. the word that governs all the other words in a phrase in which it is used, having the same grammatical function as the whole phrase.
- 10. a superficial deposit of rock fragments, formed at the edge of an ice sheet by repeated freezing and thawing and then moved downhill.
- 11. rare a group of pheasants it is easy to get up a head of pheasants with the aid of good keepers
- 1. chief; principal the head waiter
- 1. be in the leading position on the St George's Day procession was headed by the mayor 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ be in charge of an organizational unit headed by a line manager she headed up the Jubilee Year programme
- 2. give a title or caption to an article headed ‘The Protection of Human Life’
- 3. move in a specified direction he was heading for the exit we were headed in the wrong direction 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ appear to be moving inevitably towards (something, especially something undesirable) the economy is heading for recession
- ▪ direct or steer in a specified direction she headed the car towards them
- 4. shoot or pass (the ball) with the head a corner kick that Moody headed into the net
- 5. lop off the upper part or branches of (a plant or tree) the willow is headed every three or four years
- 6. (of a lettuce or cabbage) form a head.
- bang people's heads together
- be hanging over someone's head
- be in over one's head
- be on someone's own head
- bite someone's head off
- by the head
- come to a head
- do someone's head in
- from head to toe
- get one's head down
- get one's head around
- get something into one's head
- give someone their head
- give someone head
- go to someone's head
- hang one's head
- have a good head on one's shoulders
- head of hair
- head and shoulders above
- — one's head off
- head over heels
- a head start
- heads I win, tails you lose
- heads will roll
- hold a gun to someone's head
- hold up one's head
- in one's head
- keep one's head
- keep one's head above water
- keep one's head down
- lose one's head
- make head or tail of
- off one's head
- off the top of one's head
- over someone's head
- put their heads together
- standing on one's head
- take it into one's head to do something
- turn someone's head
- turn something on its head
- turn heads
- head someone/something off
- head up
Can you tell me where the ship is heading for? 這是一個間接問句，可還原 1.Can you....Y.I. 2006-05-08 04:10:10 補充： head當動詞用表示到哪個地方時為不及物動詞故要加地點...
while some folks head for the nearest Starbucks when desperate for coffee （而） 有些人很...親切稱呼，有時也可以稱 「家人」， 例如： my folks 我的家人 「head for 某地」 是 「前往某地」 的意思。 head 在這裡是動詞，表示 「頭朝向...
雖然大家都說 head office 跟 main office 可以通用 但其實是有那麼一點差別的 head office 有全球性的意味 所以你可以說, the head office of coca-cola is in Atlanta 可口可樂的全球總公司在亞特蘭大...