- comparative darkness and coolness caused by shelter from direct sunlight；the darker part of a picture.
- screen from direct light；cover, moderate, or exclude the light of
verb: shade, 3rd person present: shades, gerund or present participle: shading, past tense: shaded, past participle: shaded
noun: shade, plural noun: shades
- 1. comparative darkness and coolness caused by shelter from direct sunlight sitting in the shade this area will be in shade for much of the day 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ the darker part of a picture.
- ▪ a position of relative inferiority or obscurity her elegant pink and black ensemble would put most outfits in the shade
- ▪ literary a shadow or area of darkness the shades of evening drew on 同義詞 反義詞
- ▪ historical a portrait in silhouette.
- 2. a color, especially with regard to how light or dark it is or as distinguished from one nearly like it various shades of blue Maria's eyes darkened in shade 同義詞
- ▪ a slight degree of difference between colors.
- ▪ a slightly differing variety of something politicians of all shades of opinion 同義詞
- ▪ a slight amount of something there is a shade of wistfulness in his rejection 同義詞
- 3. a lampshade a small lamp with a crimson shade
- ▪ North American a screen or blind on a window draw the shades, chill the wine 同義詞
- ▪ an eyeshade.
- ▪ informal sunglasses he wore shades and a leather jacket 同義詞
- 4. literary a ghost the ghost is the shade of Lucy Walters, first mistress of Charles II 同義詞
- ▪ the underworld; Hades.
- 1. screen from direct light she shaded her eyes against the sun 同義詞
- ▪ cover, moderate, or exclude the light of he shaded the flashlight with his hand
- 2. darken or color (an illustration or diagram) with parallel pencil lines or a block of color she shaded in the outline of a chimney 同義詞
- ▪ (of a color or something colored) gradually change into another color the sky shaded from turquoise to night blue 同義詞
- 3. make a slight reduction in the amount, rate, or price of banks may shade the margin over base rate they charge customers
...通常是由你的身體所形成. 2.當天氣熱時,你坐在由大樹或者大樓形成的陰涼處是shade. shadow例句: Joan was scared of her own shadow as...
"The shades were tightly drawn, and no one answered the door"= "...
... pink (idiom) = 再高興也不過了 (very pleased or amused) shade of shrimps ---- normally pink or orange red when cooked the deepest...